This past Sunday was the first Grammy Award ceremony I ever watched in full.
I have always liked watching TV/movie awards shows like the Academy Awards, or the Emmys, but never have I watched a full Grammy ceremony. In the past year especially–now that I’m graduated and have more free time on the weekends–I have paid more attention to all the major award shows. I love seeing the different identities that are designed from year-to-year for each show. I find it very interesting how award shows manage to stay fresh (or at least try to) seeing as they have been around for decades.
A Grammy award-winner designed this year’s official artwork for the 53rd Annual Grammy awards. Masaki Koike, known for his extensive experience in entertainment design, won a GRAMMY in 2007 for his work on What It Is!: Funky Soul And Rare Grooves (shown above) in the Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package category. Koike was chosen to design this year’s identity for the award show. His graphics were used on the show’s program book, telecast tickets and promotional poster, and is the primary design element for the 2011 GRAMMY Nominees CD. It looks pretty cool, and there are some decent artists on there I hear.
Since Masaki Koike won his 2007 GRAMMY, he as founded Phyx Design located in Pasadena, California. Phyx Design, the multidisciplinary firm that it is, has been able to work on music box sets and covers for musical artists like Maroon 5, Mick Jagger, Willie Nelson, and many others. Koike is also a part-time teacher and mentor at UCLA’s Extension’s Design Communication Arts department. Check out this interview with Masaki Koike:
Additional notes on the Grammys (non-design related)
Here are my rankings of the acts I was able to see listed in order from best to worst, with my thoughts. (I fell asleep around 10:45). Accompanied with my rankings are my semi-unedited notes. Enjoy. Please let me know what you think.
1) Bruno Mars, Janelle Monae, B.O.B. Bruno can sing, play the piano, the drums, and I’ve seen hime play bass. Loved the B&W effects duiring his solo. Bruno Mars was the most talented person to perform on stage last night.
2) Eminem, Rhianna, Dr. Dre, and Skylar Grey Amazing energy from the hometown guy, Eminem. Loved it. And that Skylar Grey girl was pretty good to.
3) Mick Jagger Still has it. Lots of energy for a 67 year old. Hope I can move like that when I’m 67, and sport a winter green suit coat. Mick didn’t even break a sweat.
4) J Bieber + Jaden smith, and Usher As much as I am sick of Bieber fever, the kid is talented. Not many people can rock a leather jacket, and skinny jeans with popped
collar. Try doing that when you hit 18 though. HA. OMG Usher can sweat.
5) MUSE I loved the simplicity of the performance. The rectangular prism projection screens were awesome. No fancy choreography here. Liked it a lot.
6) Yolanda Adams, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride, and Florence Welch Paying tribute to the Queen of Soul in the opening act. Yolanda Adams was awesome. Good rebound for Christina after the Superbowl mishap.
7) Norah Jones, Keith Urban and John Mayer (Johnny Depp lookalike?) Even though this wasn’t really a full-on act, I still thought this was pretty cool. John Mayer, one of the best guitar players of my generation. Norah Jones is pretty cool too.
8) Lady Antebellum One of my favorite country bands right now. I like how much country music is being recognized.
9) Cee Lo Green, the Muppets, and Gwyneth Paltrow? Really? I can’t compare this to anything except oil and water. Or was it just Cee Lo and Cee Lo’s outfit that didn’t go together? Damn, Gwyneth can sing. Are Cee Lo and LAdy Gaga soul mates? How is Paltrow dancing on a piano in 3-inch heels? That must have been tough. Good thing she wasn’t blinded by Cee Lo’s outfit. We wouldn’t want her to fall.
10) Katy Perry Did she have safety harness for that swing ride?
11) Lady Gaga No comment
12) Miranda Lambert We went from the Queen of Soul tribute to Miranda and her depressing song. Too slow of a song for where the show was at.
13) Mumford and Sons Was that Tim Tebow as lead singer?
Avett brothers Meh
Bob Dylan Ummmm?